What is Frozen Dough?
Dough freezing is a technology that cutting off a progress when produce the bread under normal circumstances to get dough or semi-product. Then get them for quick freeze (below - 30 ℃) and keep in storage below -18 ℃. The storage life for the frozen dough can reach 3 to 6 months. And it is usually used up in 3 months.
Two types of frozen dough
According to the development's trend of the frozen dough at home and abroad In the near future, the engineers in Angel classify it into two groups in accordance with the storage time of frozen dough:
■ The storage of frozen dough for about one month, and the characters are as follows:
- It’s more suitable for short distance transport—because the transport time is short.
- It has better taste and flavor—maintain its original flavor because of the frozen time is short, and less yeast.
- The more quality of flour can be choosed—in general, we should choose more protein of flour to make frozen dough. The longer time we freeze, the higher content of protein we need. It also means the heigher prize,so we can save money.
- Compared to frozen dough of the 3 to 6 months, we can add less improver of frozen dough.
■ Frozen storage for about 3 to 6 months, and the characters are as follows:
- It’s more suitable for long distance transport—to reach far distance to deliver, as well as for export;
- Because of the longer storage time and more yeast in dough, the flavor has been changed;
- It needs the higher quality of the flour—the content of protein need greater than 13% to prevent flour from damaging by ice crystal when it is frozen;
- Compared to frozen dough of 1 month, we can add more improver of frozen dough.
Improver of frozen dough
According to the features of different frozen dough, the baking and dim sum technical center of angel yeast develops two kinds of the improver of frozen dough. The users can choose it from own needs:
Baker dream (strengthening) F-20 frozen dough improver
It’s suitable for sweet dough and frozen dough of medium flour to strength.
Baker dream (stable) F-20 frozen dough improver
It’s suitable for the croissant or other frozen dough with more stable effect on the dough.
We can choose Angel fresh yeast or Angel semi-dry yeast to make frozen dough.
Angel fresh yeast (the yellow high sugar yeast ; the blue low sugar yeast)
Compared to the vigor of semi-dry yeast, the fresh yeast dropped quickly in shelf life. It’s suggested to make it into frozen dough for about 10 days.
Angel semi-dry yeast (the yellow high sugar yeast; the blue low sugar yeast)
The vigor of semi-dry yeast dropped slowly under the circumstance of frozen storage, so it is a better choice to those areas where transportation is difficult.
Recommended dosage of yeast
|Yeast Types||1-2 weeks||1 month||2-3 months||4-6 months|
|Angel fresh yeast||≥3%||≥4%||≥5%||≥6%|
|Angel semi-dry yeast||≥1.5%||≥2%||≥2.5%||≥3%|
Angel semi-dry yeast VS Instand dry yeast
The advantage in frozen dough:
Resistance to freezing It is very stable for be stored in - 18 ℃. It also can prevent the change of the yeast quality from the condition of transport.
The volume of bread is big, and the flavor is nice
Compared to instand dry yeast, the advantage of semi-dry yeast is the volume of bread can be bigger, and the flavor is better.
We can add it after mix dough to slow down the time of fermentation.
Semi-dry yeast is higher in content of water, the fluidity is good. We can add it after mix dough to slow down the time of fermentation, and maintain the quality of frozen dough.
The cold water resistance performance is good
The frozen dough requires the dough’s temperature under 20 degrees. We usually use cold water to mix dough. The cold water resistance performance of the semi-dry yeast is good. It’s more suitable for the requirement of frozen dough,s technology.